Friday, February 24, 2017

A New Friend, A New Mend, & A Wooden Mystery

Sales were a bust this morning. February doldrums, I suspect, plus it did actually snow a bit. But lordy, the last couple of weeks have been so full of fabulous finds I can’t even care. In all the excitement over what we are calling the Kathryn Sale I haven’t even shown everything I did bring home.

Do you ever find something that’s quite absurd for you to buy, and yet you are absolutely smitten by it? We were at one of those sales that purport to be an estate sale and yet consist mostly of baby items, and KK handed me a colorful wooden object. “This is cute,” she said, and in two seconds I was a goner.


Evidently this is a ‘clutching toy’ - aptly named, because once I picked it up I couldn't let go. Made for babies to grab and pull and (knowing babies) chew on and throw. I simply fell for his adorable face,


and the fact that his hat looks like an acorn.


He sits by my keyboard and smiles at me all day. Best working companion I've ever had.


And he was but fifty cents—which puts a smile on my face very similar to his!

Speaking of the Kathryn sale, I didn’t mention the 25¢ pair of cashmere gloves before because almost the minute I brought them in the house I dropped one, which ZoĆ« noticed and immediately chewed off the end of one finger. Bad dog!


But I can knit, and I appreciate a good mend. Which led me recently to look up Kintsugi (or Kintsukuroi), the Japanese art of mending broken pottery with gold. I spent a happy morning on Pinterest looking at examples.


A chewed-off glove finger seemed like the perfect opportunity to hunt out the gold yarn in my stash as well as the perfect wool


(fingering yarn, tee hee, thanks to my Vermont niece Kim who included this in her Christmas package to us). And voila, a Kintsugi-style mended glove.



This last item is one I need help with. It came from an estate sale around the corner from my house. I think everyone who went through the kitchen picked it up and said, “What the heck is this thing?” Judy and I had a whole horror-movie scenario going.


I went back the next day when things were half-price, and Mystery Object was still there. I couldn’t resist. 


The lady running the sale said that they had decided it’s for cutting strips of pasta, which was something I too had thought of. So maybe that’s what it is, but I haven’t even been able to find a picture of something similar. It's beautifully made, smooth to the touch, with the metal tines deftly inserted into the wood.

Does anyone know for sure? I'd love to know before I make that next batch of fettucine!


18 comments:

  1. Stop in from Living Rich On the cheap. Isn't it amazing what one can get used.
    Stop in at a thrift store and got some cards for quarter each.
    If you fine time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly amazed by what I find. And if something ispriced to high I can leave it behind because I'm pretty sure I'll se another one someday!

      Delete
  2. I've heard of the Japanese mending things with gold and I love the idea. It's a bit like putting a picture plaster on a child's cut knee...'there, there. Make it better'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, maybe I could knit a bandaid motif the next time this happens!

      Delete
  3. Love how you fixed your glove...now looks like you have a ring on your finger. too many people just throw things out.

    And that looks like a fork/knife thing.....kind of like the spoon/fork thing. slice things up before picking them up. pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not get that 'throw it out' mindset - what is wrong with those people?!

      Delete
  4. I bought that toy for my granddaughter when she was a baby. I always liked it more than she did and it was quite pricey. I think it's made by HABA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a HABA, from Germany. I'm sure no baby could love it as much as I do!

      Delete
  5. Am charmed by your solution to the finger-chewed glove.
    There is such reverence in Japanese philosophy, and
    Your thought to apply it with the glove was brilliant.
    Read your blog but have never commented, now I HAVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you finally commented! I wish broken pottery was as easy to mend as this glove was.

      Delete
  6. Could the mystery item be for shredding chicken or pulled pork? It looks a bit like these novelty wolverine claws my friend has for making pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, maybe. But since I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years I guess I'll stick with pasta!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No clue about the forky thing, but your "gold ring" finger mend is inspired!

      Delete
  8. It must be some kind of dough cutter. Thinking about for example the strips on top of apple pie. Found this: http://www.emga.com/en/catalog/patisserie/rolling-pin-dough-cutter/others/multiple-wheel-dough-cutter-025.002z
    Not the same but the effect is likely the same.
    Love your gloeve solution too. Als been reading for a while now but first comment. Looking out for new posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or simply a multiple vegetable slicer I'm thinking now. Potato chips?

      Delete
  9. I think the pulled pork idea is good...I also wondered if it was for slicing HB eggs? Salad tosser?
    But you are right - it is lovely and I think that would be good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think for veggies too--most likely onions. Sandy

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments. Thanks for coming along on my thrifty adventures!

 
Pin It button on image hover